CALL FOR APPLICATIONS:
Good Women Dance Collective 2020/2021 Residency Program
Good Women Dance Collective (GWDC) is accepting applications for our 2020/2021 residency program. This program provides free rehearsal space and mentorship to emerging performance-based artists and collectives. Each residency lasts between 1-3 weeks and offers an opportunity to showcase works in progress, informally, at the end of the residency’s duration. Applicants from outside of Edmonton are welcome to apply!
Good Women Dance Collective is a professional, contemporary dance company whose commitment to fostering a vibrant and sustainable dance community in Edmonton has provided space for both emerging and established artists since 2009. Good Women Dance Collective’s artistic focus is on creating and producing innovative new works with integrity and conviction. Questions about the residency program can be directed to email@example.com.
- Use of the GWDC studio on Mondays and Wednesdays 9am-4pm and Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 12pm-4pm for the duration of the residency.
- Studio is 48’ by 43’, with sprung Marley flooring, floor-to-ceiling mirrors, a PA/sound system, and loads of natural light.
- Creative guidance/mentorship from GWDC if desired.
- An informal studio showing of your work in process on the final afternoon of your residency.
- If a public showing is not part of your process, please suggest an alternative form of engaging with the public (IE: open rehearsal, teaching a workshop, creating blog posts or content for GWDC’s website, social media, and newsletter, etc.) in your application
Artists are responsible for logistics and costs associated with materials, travel and lodging. Billeting is a possibility, depending on the dates of the residency and specific needs of the artist(s), IE: allergies, accessibility, etc. Please contact GWDC prior to applying with any questions or concerns about lodging for out-of-town artists.
Application Package must include:
- Artist Statement and Biography
- Project Description: What are you interested in exploring during your residency? Who is involved? Describe your goals for the residency and how you plan on achieving them.
- Rationale for why this residency opportunity is important to your creative process.
- What are your future performance or workshop plans for the piece?
- Your first, second and third choice of residency timing. Propose 1-3 week periods between September 1, 2020 and August 31, 2021.
- Links to examples of past or present work (YouTube or Vimeo links only).
- Optional support and research materials are welcome.
Application packages should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org as one PDF document no later than Friday, May 8th at 5pm MST. Please do not send hard copy submissions; only electronic submissions will be considered. We will be contacting all applicants with our decision by May 29th, 2020.
Good Women Dance Collective is located on Treaty 6 territory, home of many Indigenous peoples who have been gathering in this place to create, practice and celebrate art for many years. Good Women is committed to practicing the spirit of Tatawaw, which means “Welcome. There is room.” We offer artists in our community an opportunity to create, practice and perform in safe spaces and are committed to listening, learning and striving to do better. As an organization that works collectively, Good Women recognizes that the individual is supported by the community and the community is supported by the individual. We are all treaty people.