May 14th at 5pm MST
Good Women Dance Collective (GWDC) is accepting applications for our 2021/22 space share program. This program provides free rehearsal space and mentorship to performance-based artists and collectives. Each space share lasts between 1-3 weeks and offers an opportunity to showcase works in progress, informally, at the end of the space share’s duration. Applicants from outside of Edmonton are welcome to apply!
GWDC is an equity-seeking organization: We support and encourage the sharing of space and stories from all bodies, lands and histories, many of which have yet to be experienced on our stages and in our studios. We acknowledge this and actively strive to change it through our programming and curating. If you belong to an underrepresented community and feel comfortable indicating this in your application please do so. Feel free to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have prior to submitting your application.
- Use of the GWDC studio at the Shumka Dance Centre (10515 111 street, Edmonton) on Mondays and Wednesdays 9am-4pm and Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 12pm-4pm for the duration of the space share.
- Creative guidance/mentorship from GWDC if desired.
- An informal studio showing of your work in process on the final afternoon of your space share.
- If a public showing is not part of your process, please suggest an alternative form of engaging with the public (IE: open rehearsal, teaching a workshop, creating blog posts or content for GWDC’s website, social media, and newsletter, etc.) in your application
Artists are responsible for logistics and costs associated with materials, travel and lodging. Billeting is a possibility, depending on the dates of the residency and specific needs of the artist(s), IE: allergies, accessibility, etc. Please contact GWDC prior to applying with any questions or concerns about lodging for out-of-town artists.
Application Package must include:
- Artist Statement/Biography
- Project Description: What are you interested in exploring during your space share time? Who is involved? Describe your goals for the space share and how you plan on achieving them.
- How will you engage with the public during your In House Session? For example, showing, video blog, etc
- Your first, second and third choice of timing. Propose 1-3 week periods between September 1, 2021 and August 31, 2022.
- Links to examples of past or present work, if you have footage of the work you are applying with that is preferable (YouTube or Vimeo links only, no more than 10 min of viewing).
- Optional support and research materials are welcome.
Application packages should be sent via email to email@example.com as one PDF document or video application no later than Friday, May 14th at 5pm MST. Please do not send hard copy submissions; only electronic submissions will be considered. Please limit application to two pages maximum or five minute video description. We will be contacting all applicants with our decision by June 4th, 2021. If you have further accessibility needs in submitting your application please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, on social media or 7808026867 and we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
Good Women Dance Collective is located on Treaty 6 territory, home of many Indigenous peoples who have been gathering in this place to create, practice and celebrate art for many years. Good Women is committed to practicing the spirit of Tatawaw, which means “Welcome. There is room.” We offer artists in our community an opportunity to create, practice and perform in safe spaces and are committed to listening, learning and striving to do better. As an organization that works collectively, Good Women recognizes that the individual is supported by the community and the community is supported by the individual. We are all treaty people.