Good Women Dance is accepting submissions for our Creative Incubator series, a week-long creation workshop facilitated by local dance and theatre artist Amber Borotsik. Artists will bring their current ideas and interests and be able to work surrounded by the creative energy and input of their peers and community members. The Creative Incubator is free and open to all disciplines. All experience levels are welcome, from artists just starting their artistic practices to established artists in the community.
This 5-day long workshop runs daily from 9am-4pm on May 17th through May 21st, 2021 at the Shumka Centre for Dance (10515 111 St NW, Edmonton). An informal showing will take place on Friday, May 21st. In the event of further COVID restrictions, Creative Incubator will take place online via Zoom.
The week will include facilitated exercises, sharing, and discussion between participants, with opportunities for collaboration. Prepare to question and be questioned, to explore, to collaborate, and to find new and exciting pathways and processes for you and your work.
- A brief artist statement or biography
- A description of the ideas/interests you are exploring in the creative process for your current project (IE: tell us about the piece you’ll be working on at the Creative Incubator!)
- A brief explanation to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in this specific creative format?
- What do you intend to achieve throughout the workshop?
- What is the next step in your creation?
- Details about any large props and/or equipment you will be working with
- Examples of past or present work (IE: YouTube/Vimeo links, website, photo gallery, script, sound file or link, etc). Online sources or electronic files only – no hard copy support material, please.
- Any additional support or research materials you wish to include (optional)
Application packages should be sent via email to email@example.com as one PDF document no later than FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2021 at 5:00pm MDT. Please do not send hard copy submissions; only electronic submissions will be considered. We will be contacting all applicants with our decision by Friday, February 26th, 2021.
The Creative Incubator works best and benefits all involved if successful applicants attend the entirety of the workshop, including the public showing + sharing event. However, if this commitment is a barrier for you, please indicate this in your submission and we will collaborate on solutions that benefit you and the other participants in the program while allowing for different types of engagement.
GWDC is an equity-seeking organization: We support and encourage the sharing of space and stories from all bodies, lands and histories, many of which have yet to be experienced on our stages and in our studios. We acknowledge this and actively strive to change it. Feel free to contact us via email with any questions you may have prior to submitting your application.
Good Women Dance Collective is located on Treaty 6 territory, home of many Indigenous peoples who have been gathering in this place to create, practice and celebrate art for many years. Good Women is committed to practicing the spirit of Tatawaw, which means “Welcome. There is room.” We offer artists in our community an opportunity to create, practice and perform in safe spaces and are committed to listening, learning and striving to do better.