Good Women Dance Collective (GWDC) is accepting applications for our 2022/23 space share program. This program provides free rehearsal space and mentorship to performance-based artists and collectives. Each space share lasts between 1-3 weeks and offers an opportunity to showcase works in progress, informally, at the end of the space share’s duration. Applicants from outside of Edmonton are welcome to apply!
GWDC is an equity-seeking organization: We support and encourage the sharing of space and stories from all bodies, lands and histories, many of which have yet to be experienced on our stages and in our studios. We acknowledge this and actively strive to change it through our programming and curating. If you belong to an underrepresented community and feel comfortable indicating this in your application please do so. Feel free to contact us via email at email@example.com with any questions you may have prior to submitting your application.
Space Share includes:
- Use of the GWDC studio at the Shumka Dance Centre (10515 111 street, Edmonton) Monday to Friday, from 12pm-4pm for the duration of the Space Share.
- Creative guidance/mentorship from GWDC if desired.
- An informal studio showing of your work in process on the final afternoon of your space share.
- If a public showing is not part of your process, please suggest an alternative form of engaging with the public (IE: open rehearsal, teaching a workshop, creating blog posts or content for GWDC’s website, social media, and newsletter, etc.) in your application
Artists are responsible for logistics and costs associated with materials, travel and lodging. Billeting is a possibility, depending on the dates of the residency and specific needs of the artist(s), IE: allergies, accessibility, etc. Please contact GWDC prior to applying with any questions or concerns about lodging for out-of-town artists.
Application Package must include:
- Artist Statement/Biography
- CV or a summary of meaningful past experiences in your artistic development
- Project Description: What are you interested in exploring during your Space Share time? Who is involved? Describe your goals for the Space Share and how you plan on achieving them.
- How will you engage with the public during your Space Share? For example, showing, video blog, etc
- Your first, second and third choice of timing. Propose 1-3 week periods between September 1, 2022 and August 31, 2023.
- Links to examples of past or present work. We encourage submitting footage of the work you are applying with (even if at the earliest stages). YouTube or Vimeo links only, no more than 10 min of viewing.
- Optional support and research materials are welcome.
- Please limit the application to two pages maximum or five minute video description.
Application packages should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, May 13th, 2022 at 5pm MST. Whether you choose to present your application as a PDF, video or other medium, please combine all components of your application as simply as possible. Sections of applications sent in multiple emails may not be viewed as complete. Please do not send hard copy submissions; only electronic submissions will be considered. We will be contacting all applicants with our decision by June 3rd, 2022. If you have further accessibility needs in submitting your application please contact us by email at email@example.com, on social media or 7808026867 and we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
Good Women Dance Collective is located in Amiskwacîwâskahikan, colonially known as Edmonton, on Treaty 6 territory. We acknowledge that we are on this land as uninvited guests, in the O-day’min ward, the heart of the city. O-day’min is an Anishinaabe word for strawberry and is used in traditional teachings to represent vulnerability, carrying its seeds on the outside of the fruit and not protected within. We hold this teaching very close to our hearts, as there is a need for vulnerability and understanding when practicing, creating and performing art. We strive to create a culture of care within and beyond our organization that encourages thoughtful exploration and growth.